Friday, July 4, 2008

Time to shop this thing around.

I think it is high time I shop this thing around and try to garner interest in this thing. I want this to be a public feed for what's on the minds of those of us who believe the Autism Spectrum and the Learning Disabilities Spectrum are disabilities to be overcome through training and therapy, not diseases to be cured and eliminated from society. Anybody feel the same way? Join this blog and help it become a public face for our views. Patriotism is for the masses. Patriautism is for us. As cited here, the term is deeply offensive to me. What I resent, however, is that the word has been hijacked from what should have been its proper use - blind love for the neurodiversity community, where any reference to autism has no negative connotation or stigma attached. While intended as a voice for the neurodiverse community, this blog is also dedicated to reclaiming the right to our own definitions because it is by these with which we define and present ourselves to the world.

Three terms that should be added to hate speech legislation are "retard", "SPED", and "spaz". But that's just my opinion. If anyone reads this, let me know what you think.

And Happy Independence Day!

No comments: